Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sasha found a way to Shine at the Shelbourne.


Shine is a lounge located in the Shelbourne Hotel in Miami's South Beach. The club is very well layed out with the emphasis on the DJ. Once you enter the main doors you are able to look straight across a VIP area past a dance floor at one of the largest DJ booths in South Florida. The design of the club is pure energy fed soley by the man behind the turn tables.

The night that I arrived at Shine, legendary British DJ Sasha was headlining the party. Other greats like Lee Burridge were in the DJ booth mixing it up with the likes of Jon Cowan. I did as I always do when I enter a club and ordered a drink. "Grey Goose on the rocks, lime please!" I stated. The bar tender filled an 8 ounce glass with ice and vodka for $12. I was happy with the pour and how quickly I was attended to all night.

The crowd shared the same taste in music, you could feel the energy once inside. I am sure that on any other night, when not so many people were there for the artists, you would feel the kind of snobbery that Miami can deal. Not this night!

On this night mingling from other clubs paid off. People I had met at other club events were here and willing to buy drinks and share in the experience. As Jon Cowan closed out the club reached capacity. People were paying $60 dollars a piece for the cover charge. A day earlier, presale tickets were $20.

The crowd cheered sometime around 1 in the morning as Cowan gave the turn tables over to Sasha. The sound system in the club was pumping louder than most clubs I have been in. One could feel themselves immersed in the sounds of deep, dark, intelligent house music. Sasha spun music that would give a house aficionado goose bumps and make a house hater fall in love.

The music drove the party to about six in the morning, when at that faithful minute, the house lights came on and the turn tables slowed down. Leaving the only sounds to be that of cheers, conversations, and the relentless ringing of my ears. All in all I was impressed with this lounge located in a hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment